Welcome to Water Polo
The Water Polo section aims to encourage the sport across a spectrum of swimmers and has 4 categories of membership:
- Mini Polo (boys and girls, 9-12 years)
- Junior Polo (boys and girls with some experience and knowledge up to the age of 18)
- Ladies (18yrs+)
- Mens (18yrs+)
To enable full participation and enjoyment of the sport, members of this section need to be reasonably proficient, confident swimmers in front crawl and backstroke, and be able to tread water. Water Polo members regularly take part in various leagues ” and our senior members can often be seen hosting some very exciting matches at Riverside Ice and Leisure Centre on Monday evenings.
For further information please see Fixtures below:
Water Polo (Mini Polo)
Mini-polo! is a smaller, more basic game than Water Polo itself and has been introduced to teach young players of any age, up to about thirteen years old, the basics of the full game. It is also a great multi-skill activity which teaches the fundamentals of aquatics and sport as a whole. The best thing about mini-polo! is its wide adaptability. You can take any size of pool, whether deep or shallow, any number of young boys and girls, of different ages; ability and size and modify the game to suit your requirements. It’s as simple as that…there really aren’t any rules to use if you don’t want to!
- Use any space of water and turn it into a fun water ball game.
- Use any small ball which is waterproof and floats.
- If there are no goals then use floats, cones or plastic bottles filled with water.
- If players are not confident in the water, involve them by having their team score by passing them the ball whilst sat on the side.
As long as players are enjoying themselves with their friends and throwing a ball about in the water, then they’re on their way to playing mini-polo!
At Chelmsford City Swimming Club, the Water Polo section will progress children from Mini Polo! to Junior Polo and eventually through to Senior Polo. We use the mini-polo! format of fun, combined with qualified coaches to teach the basic skills to play a competitive game of Water Polo. We enter young teams in to league games and to play in tournaments across the Country. That is if the players want to.
But why wouldn’t they!!!!
Training Times Mini-Polo
- Tuesdays 7.15 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. at Riverside Ice and Leisure Centre
Water Polo (Juniors and Seniors)
New players are offered two free trial sessions. Contact the Club if you would like to arrange this or require more information.
Training Times Junior and Senior Water Polo
- Junior training is from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday evenings at Riverside and is normally for 15 and unders. Junior training also takes place on alternate Sundays, with junior local league matches from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. also on Sundays.
- Training from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Tuesdays is for those aged 16 to 18 plus all seniors.
- In addition on Mondays from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. when there are not senior matches there is seniors training by invitation only.